Tuesday, December 11, 2012

Graphics in Women's Liberation Periodicals

One of these days I’ll get around to writing on graphics and illustrations in women’s liberation periodicals.  In the meantime I just keep sharing them.  Today, the centerfold from Women: A journal of Liberation winter 1970 credited in the table of contents to Coni Bille, who may be the same person is  mentioned in Paul Lyon’s The People of This Generation: The Rise and Fall of the New Left in Philadelphia:  “Abortion Rights Association spearheaded by Penn graduate Connie Bille Finnerty.”  I like to imagine all the sisters carefully removing these pics to hang on their walls!






I also found this awesome graphic credited to Bille from 1969



source


√ comments for her response!

2 comments:

  1. I am Conni Bille (aka Constance Bille Finnerty), the illustrator of both the "Ms America" centerfold from "Women a Journal of Liberation" as well as "Adam and the Eve Myth" in your source link. My graphics, especially my linocuts, were widely published in the underground press in the 60's-70's. There are more of them. I co-edited the Philadelphia Resistance paper "Common Sense" and was a staffer at "The Great Specked Bird" (Atlanta) And yes I am also the Penn grad mentioned in Paul Lyon's book.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you so much for taking the time to comment. I love your work!

    ReplyDelete